Srinagar, Feb 19: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Thursday said the Health and Medical Education (H&ME) Department is currently prioritising the strengthening and consolidation of existing healthcare infrastructure rather than upgrading facilities to higher levels.
Replying to a question in the Legislative Assembly raised by MLA Pahalgam Altaf Wani, H&ME Minister Sakeena Itoo said the department is working in line with the Indian Public Health Standards (IPHS)-2022 norms to improve patient care and service delivery across the Union Territory.
She said that under IPHS-2022 guidelines, districts with a population below five lakh and having a functional District Hospital do not require a Sub-District Hospital (SDH). Districts with populations between five to ten lakh are eligible for one SDH, while an additional SDH can be considered for every 10 lakh population thereafter.
Accordingly, a district with up to 20 lakh population can have one District Hospital and two Sub-District Hospitals, Itoo said. She, however, added that each district in J&K already has more SDHs than the admissible number under these norms. The department is therefore not considering further upgradation of healthcare institutions at present, the minister said.
Itoo further said that the department had already sanctioned the upgradation of NTPHC Pahalgam to a 50-bedded hospital in September 2021, along with the creation of 26 posts.
She informed the House that construction of the 50-bedded hospital block is progressing steadily, while an additional block is also under construction at an estimated cost of ₹1889.90 lakh. So far, ₹1100 lakh has been spent on the project.
“For the current financial year 2025-26, ₹340 lakh has been released out of the approved ₹400 lakh allocation. Additional funds have also been approved under SASCI to expedite the project,” she said, adding that structural work, including truss installation, has been completed, and finishing works are underway.
The minister further said that medical equipment would be procured and installed in a phased manner in line with the hospital’s requirements and available budget.
The government also clarified that there is no proposal to establish a new trauma hospital between Qazigund and Pahalgam. The minister cited the requirement of specialised manpower, advanced equipment, and modular operation theatres as key challenges in setting up standalone trauma facilities.
Instead, she said, the department is focusing on strengthening existing trauma care infrastructure. Currently, trauma services are available at facilities in Qazigund, Government Medical College Anantnag, and Bijbehara, which is located close to the Khanabal–Pahalgam–Qazigund road.
Itoo further highlighted the healthcare arrangements made during the annual Shri Amarnath Ji Yatra, stating that health camps are established along the route to cater to pilgrims. She said that medical facilities are augmented at key institutions, including PHC Mattan, SDH Seer Hamdan, PHC Aishmuqam, and the upcoming 50-bedded hospital at Pahalgam.
She said PHC Aishmuqam has been made operational round-the-clock to cater to devotees visiting the shrine of Sakhie Zain-U-Din Wali (RA), ensuring timely medical assistance
Reiterating the government’s approach, the minister said the priority remains optimal utilisation of existing resources and strengthening healthcare delivery systems across J&K, rather than expanding infrastructure beyond prescribed norms.
“The focus is on improving services in existing hospitals to ensure better patient care outcomes,” she added—(KNO)







